Sunday, February 27, 2011

Recommended reading for teacher peers


      Blogs are a great way to share ideas and information with teacher peers.  In this blog, share an inspirational book that you would recommend to fellow teachers.  Pick a book that you think would help other teachers in their professional journey.  Share a brief description as well.  Thank you for your input!

13 comments:

  1. Although I don't have a name for a particular book, I would recommend a book of inspirational quotes. Many things I learned in school, I really don't remember much of it, other than the teachers whose words inspired me. I would post inspirational and motivational quotes everywhere, all over the classroom, photographs and art too. I know many times a picture says far more than words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul is full of inspirational stories. This also make's a great gift for teachers. For help in the professional journey, I would recommend subscribing to teacher's magazines. I find many ideas in the articles and save them for later reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul and reading inspirational quotes online too. Often times I will search a variety of websites to read daily quotes and scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why I Teach: Inspirational True Stories from Teachers Who Make a Difference by Esther Wright M.A. is an excellent book. I recommend this book to teachers, aspiring teachers, and anyone who works with young children. It tells true stores that great teachers have experienced. This book is encouraging and inspirational. it would make an excellent gift for a fellow teacher or someone going into the teaching field.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'll look it up and read it. I am always looking for a book to inspire me. It is amazing how much it helps to read the experiences of other teachers because they are going through many of the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started saving notes from parents and students during my first year of teaching. I call it my "Atta girl file." When I find myself in need of some inspiration, I pull out this file and read the notes of thanks and appreciation from people that feel I've made a difference for them - a positive difference. I have been given a nice little collection of inspirational books also and I do enjoy reading them. However, nothing helps me pick myself up and keep going like that a return visit to that file.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget to post on my blog also. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There a lot of the websites that you can find a lot of information and tips for the teachers. On this site below, they recommend six books. One of the, that I will look for is,” The Courage to Teach” which is about a teacher who is dealing with issue, we all will, and that’s “to make connections between themselves, their students and their curriculum.”
    www.712educators.about.com/od/burnoutcauses/tp/inspbooks.htm
    I would like to recommend a movie, “Freedom Writers” if you haven’t seen. Every teacher should see it, because is about a teacher, who did marvelous job in the classroom, which students comes from different cultures. She gave up on everything to help her students, and she made it. (You can find a DVD in any Blockbuster).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracy,
    Dont forget to visit my blog
    http://sloperedm510.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great movie. I'll check it out soon. I like to keep notes and letters I have received from parents and students also. They give me a lift when I read them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the "atta girl file" that Leslie Mattox has put together. That would really encourage me too.

    ReplyDelete